How Clean is Your Implant? Why the Long Term Success of Your Dental Implant Therapy is in Danger.
The surface of dental implants determines the initial phases of the biological response to the implant and affects its ability to integrate into the surrounding tissue. In four consecutive studies since 2007 more than 250 different, sterile packaged dental implants were analyzed by scanning electron microscopy and EDS for an appropriate elemental analysis. Depending on the manufacturing and packaging processes, the studies revealed a wide variety of avoidable organic and/or inorganic contaminations on sterile implants. Participants of this lecture will see numerous dental implants with massive organic pollution and inorganic particles containing iron, copper, chromium, tungsten and nickel. Recent ToF-SIMS analyses revealed even hazardous substances such as Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid. The lecture separates the wheat from the chaff and gives precise information about the possible clinical impact of impurities and the level of quality that is technically possible. Inferior quality products are flooding the implant market. It is time to wake up and to critically question the choice for a dental implant in order to protect not only the long-term success of dental implant therapy but also protect every patient.
Dr. med. dent. Dirk U. Duddeck (D.D.S.)
- 1983-1985 University of Konstanz, Study of Biology
- 1985 Undergraduate degree in Biology
- 1985-1987 Dental School University Berlin
- 1987-1992 Dental School University Heidelberg
- 1992 Certification as Dentist
- 1992-1998 Dep. for Craniomaxillofacial and Plastic Surgery University Heidelberg, (Chair Prof. Dr. Dr. Mühling)
- 1999-2007 Founder and managing director of a leading consulting agency in dentistry
- 2007-2015 Interdisciplinary Dep. for Oral Surgery and Implantology, Dep. for Craniomaxillofacial and Plastic Surgery University of Cologne, Germany, (Chair Prof. Dr. Dr. J.E. Zöller)
- 2008-2012 Study Coordinator and Head of Dentistry Department in the Deanery of the University of Cologne
- Since 2008 Project manager of the BDIZ EDI Quality & Research (Q+R) Committee (European Association of Dental Implantologists)
- 2009 Doctorate Dr. med. dent. (D.D.S.)
- Since 2012 Implantologist in a private practice (Dr. Detlef Hildebrand) in Berlin
- Since 2013 Member of the BAIRD Implant Council The British Academy of Implant & Restorative Dentistry
- 2010-2014 Business manager of the BDIZ EDI and founder/project manager of iCAMPUS - the educational program for young implantologists
- Since 2014 Founder and managing director of mmri.berlin, the independent Medical Materials Research Institute based in Berlin (www.mmri.berlin), specialized in implant material analyses.
- Since 2016 Guest researcher at the Charité University Medicine Berlin / Campus Benjamin Franklin; Department of Prosthodontics, Geriatric Dentistry and Craniomandibular Disorders; Chair Prof. Dr. Florian Beuer
- Since 2016 Managing director of the CleanImplant Foundation, non-profit organization initiating a global quality campaign in implant dentistry